My intent is to allow the reader to walk down the lanes of old London (before it burned to the ground in the Great Fire of 1666) and feel as if you are actually there. You can smell and touch the nuances of London. You'll know what it's like to work your way through the City and its the conflicting laws where religion played in important part of everyday life. So sit back and enjoy the ride.

Oh, and then there's my French Revolution novel.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hello

Well, here I am after much angst and stubborn foolishness, writing a blog. It seems part of promoting your books. I've three out, now. Two based on London 1660's.

Viola, A Woeful Tale of Marriage is set in London 1660 as the people of England grappled with the loss of Cromwell. He died suddenly on a 'dark and stormy night' in September of 1658, and it brought the Commonwealth to a whimpering halt in 1660. Those who stood by Cromwell, and tried to stand by his son, Tumbledown Dick, for a year or so, turned cheek and went to fetch King Charles II out of exile. The transition from the rules of the Commonwealth to that of the Restoration proved difficult for the common man. What was considered proper in prayer and marriage overnight were no longer tolerated. Bigamy was on the rise, fraud in the courts rife.

Tw
ins is set in London 1661. (It is an EPICon 2012 Finalist for the best in Historical genre.) It is a story of superstition and Catholic intolerance, along with trade and piracy.

There's a little known superstition that a man can sire only one child at a time. When a woman has twins, she is considered an adulteress. This is the story of Emma and Edgar Torbet, fraternal twins, and how they deal with one of them being a bastard. It's also a tale of trade prior to the king marrying the Infanta and her large dowry which included ports of call in the South Seas. Cromwell's Commonwealth didn't do much for the burgeoning East India Company, so I explored the Levant Company and their practices. They were more of a guild. Their trade included the eastern Mediterranean. There were pirates that roamed the region, Muslim, and discontented Englishmen. Their tendencies ravished the merchants as they traveled to and fro. English merchant ships were arsenals, and they carried cannon. They often battled with the pirates.

My third London novel set in the 1660's is underway with a working title: Of Carrion Feathers. It's a tale of espionage, and takes place in 1662. Not much is written about the spy business during that time, but it existed. There were many plots against the king and his family.

Then, we have my only novel of the French Revolution, titled The First Apostle. It's about Camille Desmoulins, a popular journalist and pamphleteer of the time. His story reads like a romance. His quill carried poisoned ink, for his writings sent good men to their deaths. This one is newly published and up for an electronic giveaway January 24. Enter to win. You can leave comments here, or facebook Novels by Katherine Pym (you may also want to click LIKE while there). Goodreads has a place you make comments, also.




.


10 comments:

  1. A lovely blog! And the books sound wonderful. Congrats on this great achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is great!! I think that all three of the books that you have written are my kind of books!! I would be honoured to win one!!
    Look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To bcrocks: You are the winner of my giveaway of The First Apostle. Please send me a note of your email. Congratulations!

      Delete
  3. Lovely design highlights your covers. From experience I know the hardest part in blogging is keeping the blog up. Good luck, and persistence pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your blog. Although I'm pretty much a mystery fan, I have to admit that your books sound quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marja. I'm not much of a mystery reader, but I downloaded and read your 'Old Murders Never Die', a rip snorter of a tale. I gave it positive review in Goodreads I think.
      I've had a few good remarks on The First Apostle, which is part romance. Just in case you're looking for something different to read... :D

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I rescued The First Apostle from deletion on Goodreads. They needed a source for the information about the book other than Amazon. So I went to Wings ePress and copied the information they had about First Apostle. Then I used it for the Goodreads form.

      Delete
    4. Thanks very much. I'm a newbie at this, so truly appreciate your support. You deserve a gold star. Katherine

      Delete